Many of us are drawn to astrology because we seek to understand ourselves and to know that everything will ultimately be ok (it will be, and it is). We are drawn to ritual as a way to cultivate meaning and to give thanks for the milestones in our lives. Conducting simple rituals related to our personal astrology is a very natural way to celebrate our successes and manifest what we want in our lives.
Astrology shows us our strengths, as well as the areas that require additional tending or compassion. In order to understand the impact of astrology on our character and our true nature, we must start with the archetype of the Sun. Our hope is to dig deep and explore how to harness the power of that archetype into creating custom rituals that not only mark big milestones in our lives, but actually help us to create what we truly desire in life.
Your sun sign (Aries, Taurus, Gemini, etc) represents the Solar Self, it is the force in the chart that reflects you at your fullest, most vibrant expression. The Sun can indeed light your way, help you better understand yourself, and assure you that everything will be, and ultimately is, more than ok.
Elements as a way to celebrate
Each astrological sign has an element associated with it, namely Fire, Earth, Air, and Water. Exploring the element of the sign is a way to celebrate the unique energies that each element brings to the sign and gives us a deeper understanding of the strengths and potential of the signs. The elements help us gain insight into ourselves and celebrate our connection with our true nature.
- Fire: passion, enthusiasm, initiative (Aries, Leo, Sagittarius)
- Earth: practicality, patience, stability (Taurus, Virgo, Capricorn)
- Air: intellect, communication, innovation (Gemini, Libra, Aquarius)
- Water: emotion, depth, perception (Cancer, Scorpio, Pisces)
Qualities, the key to manifesting
The astrological signs are further categorized into qualities, namely Cardinal, Fixed, and Mutable. Looking at the qualities of the signs gives us insight into the power each category has to manifest and operate in the world.
- Cardinal: power to act (Aries, Cancer, Libra, Capricorn)
- Fixed: power to persevere (Taurus, Leo, Scorpio, Aquarius)
- Mutable: power to adapt (Gemini, Virgo, Sagittarius, Pisces)
Once we understand our sun sign we can choose elements and qualities to combine that will work best to add meaning and purpose to our actions. This combination of meaning and purpose with action results in a ritual.
Creating Purpose and Meaning
Adding purpose and meaning creates spiritual, mental, and emotional space to:
- Reflect and connect with ourselves to gain a better understanding of how we feel, where we are stuck, or where we need to bring attention.
- Stop us from our busy-ness. Often we are unproductive because we do not give ourselves permission to just be, to stop all that we are doing, and experience existence.
- Connect with the spiritual world and our interior life to ask for help and guidance, to feel that we are in the right place, that we matter.
- Celebrate ourselves, family, community, life milestones, earthly seasons, and other astrological events.
6 Steps to Creating a Ritual
All rituals distill to 6 main steps. The way you do these steps is completely up to you, but here are the essentials of each of these steps that you must somehow include into your custom ritual. Below is just a sampling of what you need to know. Get more details on steps to creating a ritual here.
- Open and Initiate the ritual by making space and calling in spiritual guides
- Dream Big by imagining the best possible outcome
- Intend by asking for what you desire and for help in achieving your desire
- Do Now by taking action or a first step toward achieving your desire
- Give Thanks by saying aloud our gratitudes
- Share and Release by celebrating and grounding
Using Elements and Qualities to Support your Ritual
We customize rituals for each individual based on the elemental distribution of your astrological chart or on a sense of your own abundance or need (if the chart is not available). Looking at the Sun sign is a wonderful place to start:
- Choose elements in which we are already strong or which we need to enhance (Fire, Earth, Air, Water)
- Choose qualities in which we are already strong or which we need to enhance (Cardinal, Fixed, Mutable)
- Choose actions that combine the element and quality. For instance, if you are a Taurus, you are an Earth Sign with a Fixed Quality. We will combine the elements of stability and patience, coupled with your power to persevere to encourage you to manifest your goals or celebrate your successes, making the way for an even more authentic expression of yourself.
It’s so easy to depend on the sun as it makes its annual journey (or as we journey around our star). The sun’s milestones are linked to the seasons and are thus perfect times to stop to create sun rituals for reflection, connection, harvest and celebration.
- Solar Return: This is a personal moment in your life when the sun is shining just for you. The sun returns to the location where it was on the day you were born: it’s your birthday! It’s time to celebrate another year, reflect on your past year, and look to what you want in the coming year.
- Spring Equinox: Energy is building and nature is springing back to life after the introspection of Winter. It is the time of pure energy and potential. This is a time to set your intentions for expanding your consciousness and your presence in the world. Time to celebrate!
- Summer Solstice: This is the day that the sun stands still and shines its light for more time than any other during the year. This is Summer. This is the height of accomplishment – the seeds have been planted and crops are growing nicely. It is time to tend to yourself and cultivate your soul (sol).
- Fall Equinox: The earth is preparing for a rest. The sun is lower in the sky and the days are noticeably shorter. The sun’s position indicates that it is time to reap and prepare for introspection. It is time to appreciate the harvest and the simple pleasures of life and to give thanks for the abundance that we have.
- Winter Solstice: This is the darkest time of the year, but also the time when the sun makes its return, and a promise of light is made to us. We are deep in reflection and introspection, and the winter solstice brings us hope. This is a time to dream, reflect, prepare, and go within to find the Solar Self, the inner light.
There is so much to learn about ourselves through exploring the heavens and creating rituals around the movement and placement of the heavenly bodies. We look forward to crafting rituals with you to enhance the meaning, perspective, hope, and compassion that we all possess innately in our true nature, and in doing so, become the people we were meant to be.